Powered By Blogger

Saturday 2 July 2016

Journey to the land of Exodus

What's up peeps? It is me, Trident here.

Today I am going to bring up a topic of introducing a creative thinking technique that I recommended by one of my lecturer in university.

It is called SCAMPER. I am not gonna go into deep details about this technique. Well, you can look it up online. Before, here it basically what the technique stands for "Substitute", "Combine", "Adapt", "Modify, maximize or modify", "Put to other uses, "Eliminate" and "Reverse or Re-arrange". Anyway, you can get the ideas of how it works by understanding the words. If not, just look it up online.



I am gonna share on my thoughts on this technique. Well, to be frank, this technique seems useless to me. Not saying it is bad, because I already have my own way to develop new ideas, not going to let other things to flood my brain. But if you speaking of a person that just barely steps into creative genre, this might seems a good start for them.

To me, this technique is way too complex but yet it is cool way to branch your ideas out to many possible results. That's a nice thing to know. You can witness your own ideas to have many capabilities in many kind of genres and categories, in other words to make your ideas have higher chance to be accepted and succeed. Well, we can inspect like this. What if you are already out of ideas and facing the wall for nothing, This might seems like a nice technique to make you jump out of the trapped circle. But in the end, it is still not my choice of generating ideas. It is just too time-consuming and inefficient.

My technique is absolutely simple, it is quite similar to the "Combine and "Adapt" part of SCAMPER technique. Just like this, you take anything that happened very long time ago, such as incident, objects or whatever and you take anything that haven't or might happened, which is mostly your imagination. Combine them together and analysis it, you will get a random cool idea. This is how I get my ideas from.

For example, something happened long time ago, like the Medieval Warfare and something that haven't happened, like the futuristic feel Space Age. Combine them together to get an awesome idea. No doubt, it is part of past assignments and I got the highest score in the class with a comment of "Rare ideas that still yet to be discovered. Good Job." But by far, there is only one game that is very close to my theme of ideas, which is Final Fantasy 15. However, they are more focus on Medieval Fantasy, which is magic, alchemist that kind of stuff. While mine is focus more on the presentation of future technology but with a settings of medieval settings and twisted backstory.

Anyway, this is how I generate my ideas. It is very very dumb and simple technique. I love to make things least simple but with most effectiveness, such as my technique. So guys, I am going to end the session here. Once again,  Gracie! and Adios~

Image resources;
1. http://www.biggerplate.com/mapImages/xl/8e32ec10-ff33-4ab3-a734-af4f29dc945f.png
2. http://www.medievalists.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Who-Were-You-In-Medieval-Times.jpg
3. https://newevolutiondesigns.com/images/freebies/futuristic-city-wallpaper-20.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment